ZM had wrestlers in 3 different tournaments on Saturday. 9 wrestlers attended STMA Tournament of Champions with Caden Steffen, Jacob Bennett, Spencer DeFrang, and Hayden Stensland all placing 1st. Michael Vath, Hayden Voxland, Jarret Haglund, Sam Nordquist, and Luke Tupper all placed 3rd.
3 wrestled in the Eastview Freestyle Open. Joey Majerus went 2-0 and both Evan Block and Noah Prodzinski went 1-2.
The K-6 team went 1-2 in the NYWA regional. The team beat Goodhue and fell in a pair of close duals to KW and GMLOK.
Schedule For This Week
The 7th and 8th graders will not be going to Rochester or Cannon Falls for FS/GR practices this week so they can focus on the NYWA team state tourney.
There will be a K-6 open mat on Monday from 6-7:30. If your wrestler wants to practice Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, have them line up a partner. The wrestling room will be open each of those nights but no organized practices after Monday.
There are still several open weights for the NYWA Invite for anyone who wants another opportunity to wrestle. The deadline looks to be 10PM tonight so don’t wait!
Z-M had 11 wrestlers place in the top 3 of their weight class at Regionals this weekend to advance to NYWA State. Champions included Gunner Mancilman and Jacob Bennett. Runners-up were Cain Lexvold, Jack Krier, Spencer DeFrang, Sam Nordquist, Caden Steffen, Garrett Huneke, and Michael Vath. Placing 3rd were Mason Edstrom and Luke Krier.
Also earning a medal were Kyle Stensland and Gabe Tupper (4th), Kaleb Lochner, Ashton Macht, and Conner Heitman (5th), and Wyatt Freiheit (6th).
NYWA Region team qualifier is this Saturday in Eyota. Here is the schedule for Saturday.
Youth schedule for this week:
- Monday: Practice 6:00-7:30.
- Thursday: Practice 6:00-7:30.
- Friday: Practice after school, 3:30 to 5. After practice we will car pool and weigh in at Kenyon.
- Saturday: NYWA Team Qualifier in Eyota. Team will meet in Mazeppa at 7:15. MN/USA Freestyle State Qualifier at Eastview HS.
Be sure to RSVP to the end of the year party. I hope to see everyone there!
We will be running practice from 5:30 to 7:00 PM Thursday, March 20 due to the high school wrestling banquet some people will be attending. Good luck to everyone wrestling this weekend.
The junior & senior high wrestling banquet will be held on Thursday, March 20th, in the ZMHS cafeteria from 6:30-8:30.
This is a potluck, please bring a dish to pass (and remember these boys are hungry in the off-season!), and serving utensils. Beverages, plates, napkins, & utensils will be provided.
Please have your wrestler wear a nice shirt and dress/khaki pants.
Your attendance is very valuable, please come help us celebrate the accomplishments of all our 7th-12th grade wrestlers this season!
With spring sports starting, the practice times for 7th & 8th Grade NYWA team will be moved to 6:00-7:30 PM in the old wrestling room. There is no practice this Thursday due to the wrestling banquet.
Monday, March 17
Tuesday, March 18
Monday, March 24
Tuesday, March 25
Thursday, March 27
Monday, March, 31
Tuesday, April 1
State tournament for 7th & 8th team is Thursday, April 3.
Reminder: The weight room is open from 6:30 AM-7:30 AM Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for wrestlers to lift and is supervised by Dakota. This free time is being dominated by our underclassmen, good job guys! With spring sports starting today, I anticipate more upper classmen utilizing this morning time. Guys, weight lifting will help in all your sports and life…get to the weight room….
We have 3 scheduled youth open mats this week and next. If you are on the NYWA team we strongly encourage you to be at these practices. If you are unable to make it, please let a coach know. We are aware there are concerts on the next 2 Thursday nights for grades 3 and 4.
For those who qualified for NYWA Regions, be sure to register on-line by this Tuesday at 5:00 PM.
A reminder that our end of the year party is Sunday, April 13. Everyone should be receiving an evite this week. Please RSVP to the evite so we can plan accordingly.
Youth schedule this week:
- Monday: Open mat 6:00-7:30 for all grades.
- Wednesday: Open mat 6:00-7:30 for all grades.
- Thursday: Open mat 6:00-7:30 for all grades.
- Friday: NYWA Individual Region Qualifier in Byron for grades 5th-8th.
- Saturday: NYWA Individual Region Qualifier in Byron for grades K-4th. Jaycees State Youth Tournament in Albany.
Jacob Bennett placed 3rd at the MN/USA Folkstyle Kids & Cadets State Tournament last weekend. My apologies for missing him in last week’s post.
What a great turnout for the roller skating party today!
Congratulations to Caden Steffen and Hayden Stensland for placing in the MN/USA Folkstyle Kids & Cadets State Tournament. Caden is the Schoolboy 160 lb State Champion. Hayden finished 6th at 112 lb Schoolboy.
Several youth wrestled hard in Plainview at the NYWA district qualifier Friday night. 33 kids participated in the Goodhue Jaycees tournament on Saturday. And 5 others joined Caden and Hayden at the MN/USA State Tournament. It’s great to see this level of involvement, especially this time of year. Keep it up!
Be sure to RSVP to Josie (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Tuesday if you are planning on attending the roller skating party on Sunday.
Youth schedule this week:
- Monday: PreK thru 3rd practice from 5:30 to 6:30. 4th thru 6th from 6:30 to 7:30. This is the last practice before we combine all grades for open mat.
- Thursday: Open mat 6:00-7:30 for all grades.
- Friday: NYWA District Qualifier in Austin.
- Saturday: NYWA District Qualifier in Stewartville. K-11th Caledonia Open.
- Sunday, March 16th: Roller skating party at the Belle Creek Roller Rink at 1:00 PM.
Below are a couple of local opportunities for freestyle and Greco practices. There are whispers the Z-M club may try to organize some practices as well. Stay tuned for more information.
Here is a great article that explains why one should consider wrestling Greco-Roman and freestyle in spring and summer.
- The MN/USA Regional Training for Juniors and Cadets (born 1994-1999) will start Monday, March 10th and run from 7:00 PM-8:30 PM in the RCTC wrestling room. A USA wrestling card is required to attend. Practices will continue until June and be run by Nick Severson. Please contact Link about doing a ride share.
- The Cannon Falls Mat Rats Freestyle Program starts Monday, March 17th. The practices are open for K-12 and are held Tuesday and Thursday nights from 6:30 PM until 8:00 PM. Full calendar is here. The practices are run by Chad Otterness.
Weight Lifting Opportunity
Who: Any ZM wrestler
Days: Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Supervisor: Dakota Joseph (Stensland)
Starting: Monday, March 3, 2014
These are not weight lifting instructional sessions nor are they required. This is simply an opportunity to get better!
7th & 8th Grade NYWA Practice Schedule
Wrestling practices will be held Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays 3:45-5:00 from now till April 3rd. The boys can take the bus to Mazeppa after school but will need a ride home afterwards as there is not a shuttle back to Zumbrota. All kids are welcome to practice as there are individual and team competitions. Jeff and Chad Matthees will be coaching the boys through the NYWA team and individuals.